2nd African Philosophy World Conference (UNICAL 2017)
The State of African Philosophy in Africa Today
CALL FOR PAPERS/ABSTRACTS
For three consecutive days (September 9-11, 2015) the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa was host to African philosophers at the 1st African Philosophy World Conference. The exceedingly successful conference had the theme, “African Philosophy: Past, Present and Future”. At that momentous meeting, participants discussed a number of issues in African philosophy as well as took stock of the strides made in the field. At the end of the conference, many issues around the gap areas in African philosophy were identified and a biennial conference that will address these issues was recommended.
It is with this in mind that we are happy to organize the next conference which will jointly be hosted by the University of Calabar, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, University of the Witwatersrand, and in collaboration with the University of Ibadan, University of Johannesburg, University of Port Harcourt and The Conversational School of Philosophy (CSP).
We are therefore happy to announce that the 2nd African Philosophy World Conference will take place 12-14 October, 2017 at the University of Calabar, Nigeria with the theme: “The State of African Philosophy in Africa Today”.
The conference organizing committee kindly invites submission of original papers on the conference theme or any of the subthemes below:
- Consolidating on the gains and progress that have been made so far in African philosophy.
- Improving the nature and reach of African philosophy with regard to curricula, dissemination of research and collaborations.
- African philosophy and the problem of relevance: Issues of people’s self-conceptions; pressing social controversies and dilemmas; economics and jobs; etc.
- Major issues and developments in African philosophy in contemporary Africa: Anglophone, Francophone, Lusophone and Arabic African philosophical circles.
- Emerging systems/schools in African philosophy.
- African philosophy and intercultural engagements.
- African philosophy and the questions of climate change and the environment.
- Women participation in African philosophy.
- African philosophy and intellectual history.
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Professor Mogobe Ramose, University of Limpopo, Sovenga, South Africa
- Professor Lucius Outlaw, Vanderbilt University, USA
- Professor Thaddeus Metz, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Professor Paulin Hountondji, National University of Benin, Republic of Benin
- Professor Innocent Asouzu, University of Calabar, Nigeria
Please send an abstract of not more than 300 words for blind review to email@example.com by Tuesday February 28, 2017.Notification of acceptance will be sent latest by Friday March 31, 2017. Completed paper must be submitted by Friday September 15, 2017.Conference website: http://csp.unical.edu.ng/ Tel: +234 8066003714.
Conference participants will be required to pay a nominal conference registration fee.
Conference Organizing Committee:
Jonathan Chimakonam, PhD (UNICAL)
Ike Odimegwu, PhD (UNIZIK)
Edwin Etieyibo, PhD (Wits)
Promote this conference with: #THEBIGGEST!
It is planned to be the biggest African Philosophy conference to take place before the year 2017.